With technology constantly evolving and new IT-related job opportunities arising daily, the career opportunities in IT are endless. In a dynamic industry like IT, no two days are the same. Gone are the days of working in an industry where every day feels like déjà vu. Working in IT will keep you challenged and moving from one new project to the next. Many people underestimate the creative part of IT, assuming it is entirely technical and lacks creative freedom. That couldn’t be further from the truth! Not only are there several career options for creatives, but even 'technical' job paths can be a perfect choice for those with a creative flair.
Why work in IT
- There are no shortages of jobs in the IT industry – The world of tech is continuously growing and evolving every day and there are new job opportunities arising daily. As our world continues to become more digitalised and people start to embrace technology more, the number of job opportunities within IT will increase massively. The skills you learn in one job can easily be applied to another, making it easier for you to take advantage of newer opportunities.
- High-paying jobs- The salary of a job is usually determined by the supply and demand in the industry. The higher the demand for IT professionals and the lower the supply, the higher your salary. The IT industry is always in demand for IT professionals; however, due to the industry's infancy, there aren't many skilled IT professionals on the market. As a result, the labour supply is reduced.
- Flexible working – Because most IT roles can be done remotely, many companies offer flexible working, allowing you to work from anywhere. This flexibility this allows you to spend more time with loved ones while also having more time to pursue your hobbies.
- Increased skills and opportunities – Working in IT can open the door to brand new opportunities and skills to help you excel in your career. Companies in the IT industry are often eager to offer promotions, allowing you to advance while simultaneously gaining an increase in your salary.
- Jobs in many different industries –Want to work for a well-known accounting company or a popular fashion brand you love? There are many IT positions open for those companies. Technology drives businesses, which is why many organisations, regardless of industry, are expanding their internal IT teams.
- Numerous benefits – Depending on what company you work for, there will be a variety of benefits that you would not receive if you worked in another industry. Some of these benefits include unlimited annual leave, free food, flexible working hours, paid healthcare, etc.
Jobs in the IT industry
IT technicians assist organisations companies by diagnosing and resolving IT issues to guarantee that their computer and network systems are functioning properly. They also install and maintain software and hardware to ensure that it is configured correctly. IT experts also monitor the health of critical software and systems to ensure that they are always up and running and have as little downtime as possible.
Software developers apply their skillset to create and improve new software, to provide a solution for certain customer or client problems. As a software developer, you’ll be working on a bunch of different projects such as creating CRM systems, designing software databases, and developing video games. You’ll be interacting with a range of different customers, so communication is key! You’ll be tasked to meet the standard of meeting their client’s requirements and standards.
Quality assurance Analyst
Quality assurance analysts test programmes and software to confirm it is functional, dependable, and fit for purpose. They look for flaws and issues within the system to ensure they’re fixed before release. They also look from a design perspective to ensure everything looks pleasing and make sure that the elements are user-friendly.
Network and systems administrator
A Network and Systems administrator maintain and manage the daily operations of a business or organisation's networks and systems. They install and update relevant network hardware and software and ensure the system is operating as it should. They also help repair any issue with the computer networks and solve problems that a business may be facing with their network.
Top interview tips to help you land your first IT job:
- Be Prepared- Before your interview make sure you brush up on your technical knowledge. Interviewers are trying to scout for people who know what they’re doing, so ensure you test yourself on those tech-oriented questions You may believe that some questions are unnecessary for the job, so you'll often overlook them. Interviewers will ask the questions for answers that you won’t even need to know in your job role, as they’re trying to find the best talent possible.
- Memorise your CV- Before you enter the interview room, keep in mind that the only information they know about you is what is on your CV. This means that they will initially ask you questions based on what you have written on your CV. If you are not confident in your responses to these questions, it is not a good look and will give the interviewer a negative impression.
- Make sure you have examples- It's simple to say you're a "driven individual who has worked on and managed several projects." However, if you’re not talking about examples of where you’ve shown this, then it may appear that you didn't actually perform what you've written down. Make sure you have a range of different examples and amplify them to the max. A simple stacking job in Tesco can quickly be transformed into a ‘collaborative workplace, where I was able to show off my dedication for customer service by assisting customers and tending to their every need’. Words have a lot of power, so make sure you're using them wisely.
- Do your research- Do your research on the company and its values to understand what the company stands for. This will help you to find key buzzwords to use in your interview. By applying these buzzwords, they will believe you are the ideal candidate for the position since your values align. Doing your research will also help in answering those on-the-spot questions such as ‘Why do you want to work here?’ or ‘What do you know about this company?’.
- Talk about IT like it’s your passion- Think about a topic you’re extremely passionate about and write down everything that comes into your head. Then apply what you just wrote in the context of IT. By doing this in your next interview, you will be able to help the interviewer comprehend your enthusiasm and commitment, as well as see past all of the fake passion that the other candidates have been showing.
Want to fast-track your career in IT?
Edmondson's IT Services are hiring for different positions ranging from IT Support Engineer to Software Developer. We are an IT company that is passionate about what we do and are searching for people that share our enthusiasm. We value our employees and consider them to be the foundation of our company. We aspire as a firm to encourage our people to help them realise their goals and reach new heights, both in and out of the office. We believe in our employees' potential to meet and even exceed their goals, and we work hard to make that happen. Do you want to work for a team that values you? Apply now!